Thank you to everyone who contacted us during our recent call for volunteers.
Our current volunteer application window is now closed.
Answers to questions commonly asked about our volunteer opportunities.
*All volunteer hours can be credited to high school community service hours.
1. Where do I send my application?
2. Can I print off my application and drop it off in person?
We strongly recommend emailing. If you bring your application into the library you will have to use one of the library’s scanners to scan the application and email it from there. There is no cost for scanning.
3. How long after I submit my application until I hear from someone?
Someone will get in touch with you within 7 business days.
4. Do online reviewers have to fill out the application form?
Yes. You do not have to submit a police check.
5. How long does it take to get a police check?
Approximately two weeks.
6. Do I need to get a police check before sending my application?
No, fill out the application first. You will then be sent a letter for a discounted police check.
7. How much does it cost to get a police check?
$20 with the letter for a discount
8. Do I need to get a police check for the online reviewer?
No, a police check is not required to be an online reviewer.
9. If I bring in my online reviewer form and a teen staff member isn’t in, what do I do with it?
Give it to any staff member and ask them to pass it on to a teen staff.
10. How many hours do I get for being an online reviewer?
You receive 3 hours per review. The form has room for 7 titles for a total of 21 hours. If you want to do more after this you will have to speak to a teen staff member.
11. Can I apply to more than one position?
Yes! Please apply to as many as you want.
12. Is there an age restriction for volunteering?
All volunteers must be at least 13 years old. For the Teen Advisory Group, volunteers must be between grades 8-12.
13. I don’t live in Pickering, am I still eligible to apply to volunteer at the library?
Due to the popularity of the program and the volume of applications we receive, as of January 2017 our volunteer program only supports applications from residents of Durham Region. Applications from individuals outside of Durham will not be reviewed or considered.